Farewell Thailand! Our last week in ‘The Land of Smiles’

Day 88: Chiang Mai to Ban Pang Num Tu

Despite itching to get back on the bikes after two weeks rest in Chiang Mai, we found it hard to get up this morning as we went to bed too late last night. Rookie error! Eventually forcing ourselves out of our comfortable cocoon, we got ourselves packed up and ready to leave the hostel. This took us longer than normal due to organising the extra kit we have bought onto our bikes. We each have an extra holdall which we strap on top of the rear rack and panniers with two bungees. I have also inherited Adam’s old tire that still has life left but was replaced at the same time as his worn out tire. Giggling with nerves, I manoeuvred my bike out of the hostel for the first time with the extra weight: what a difference! This was going to take some getting used to. 

Despite it being 1100am, we visited our regular cafe across the street for one final pad Thai breakfast – much needed fuel for the day ahead. Finally, and much too late, we left Chiang Mai, considerably heavier (the bikes and ourselves!) than when we arrived two weeks ago.

Unsurprisingly, the road out of Chiang Mai was very hectic with traffic. However, as we had spent plenty of time whizzing through the city during our stay, we felt comfortable navigating through the flux of cars, even with our weighty bikes. Eventually, the road became less busy with the crazy city traffic, but we still continued on the bustling 118 main highway. The road had a large hard shoulder, as per usual in Thailand, so the cars and trucks kept a wide berth.  Even though the views weren’t spectacular, it just felt great to be back on the bikes; the road was nice and flat for the first 20km or so, which gave us time to get used to cycling with that extra weight. 

We did pass this stunning temple on the 118 from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

After about 28km, we stopped at a roadside stall for a cold fizzy drink and some snacks. It became apparent that today was a Thai holiday, so many of the cafes we passed were closed, so it was biscuits for lunch!  As we were enjoying the respite the shade provided from the ever-relentless heat of the sun, a fellow ‘Westerner’ cyclists pulled up from the opposite direction. He was clearly out just for the day on a road bike, he had already cycled over 100km! We talked for a short while: Ryan was American but lived in Chiang Mai teaching English. He explained that the road up ahead would become pretty horrible with roadworks. Unfortunately, there wasn’t an alternative route we could take that wouldn’t direct us onto a 30km dogleg, so we decided to continue on and tackle the roadworks head on.  

On we continued. Our surrounding views got prettier as we cycled through an area of lush green vegetation near the Chae Son National Park. With fresh, crisp air in our lungs, we felt happy despite the higher than the prefered volume of cars passing us. With the nicer views, came the hills. (Isn’t that always the case?! Nice views often mean hills to climb!) However, after defeating the climbs on the Mae Hong Son loop, these felt diddly in comparison! But they were good warm-up hills to practice on with our new bike setup. 

We were naively beginning to wonder whether the roadworks had been a figure of Ryan’s imagination when they began at last. They were pretty horrid. The hard shoulder was long gone and the tarmac was reduced to muddy rubble. In places, wet mud clogged up the space between our tires and mudguards. We had to stop to dislodge the sludge as it forbid us to continue. As the vehicles had to slow down with the roadworks, this resulted in even more traffic building up on narrow, uneven, muddy roads. In the past, I would have become grumpy and frustrated in this situation, but as my physical strength is developing, so is my mental strength: so I did my best to keep positive and smile through the frustration! Entertaining podcasts did well to distract me from my discomfort. 

The time reached 5pm and we knew it would be dark soon. We were way off the number of kilometres we were hoping to cycle, as the late start, hills and roadworks had slowed us right down. Our priorities were simple: find some food and somewhere to sleep. It had always been our plan to camp this evening, we needed to recoup some of the money we had splurged in Chiang Mai! It was just a case of finding the right spot. As we were slowly climbing, we spotted a flat, grassy camping oasis next to a small, bubbling river. As it appeared to be someone’s land, Adam asked two young men who were erecting some barbed wire if we could camp there. Unfortunately, the answer was no. This was a shame as the area looked idyllic. 

So we pushed on, further up the steep hills and roadworks. There were hardly any houses, cafes, restaurants or buildings of any kind on this stretch of road – only makeshift wooden shelters with tin roofs for the road-workers, and the odd stall selling overpriced strawberries. Equally, the prospect of finding somewhere to camp was looking bleak, as the land next to the busy, broken highway was thick with forest.

Finally, Adam spotted a restaurant with a scenic view of the valley below. We decided to stop for some food – we ordered two Pad Thais which were much needed after our meagre lunch of biscuits. In front of the restaurant was a stretch of flat grass separating it from the road: a perfect little camp spot! Luckily, they were more welcoming than the previous people we asked and allowed us to camp there. Success! Even better, they allowed us to use the toilet in the restaurant which also had a shower. This made me very happy!

Not a bad place to wild camp. Wifi in the tent and Pad Thai in the evening and morning

Clean and comfortable in the tent, we were just settling down to rest when the owner of the restaurant asked us to move our tent slightly to the left, away from their Spirit House. (Most Buddhist Thais have these small, colourful wooden structures outside their homes, cafes or shops. These houses are built for spirits, so they don’t bother the inhabitants of that building. Every morning, they burn incense and offer food and drink to the Spirit House to bring good luck or give thanks for keeping their house safe.) 

 It was no problem to move the tent and we were very quickly settled back down again. Just as we were drifting off, the local guard dog began his nightly duty of barking incessantly to ward off strangers. It got to the point where Adam just had to chase him off! Finally, we were able to sleep. 

Day 89: Ban Pang Num To to Ban Pa Sang Tai

We were up and off from our restaurant camp spot by 8am – not the earliest but improving on yesterday’s post 11am! Making the most of our location, we enjoyed a delicious cooked meal to prepare us for the long day we had ahead: we were aiming to reach Chiang Rai today which was 130km away. But we decided not to book accommodation or anything, but just see how the day would unfold.

Our day began with continuing up the roadwork hills, but we were feeling fresh after our night camping. As we were at a slight altitude it was a nice cool temperature, perfect for snuggling down into our lightweight thin sleeping bags, not yet cold enough for our new winter sleeping bags. 

The hills weren’t too steep and they also didn’t last long. Before we knew it, the uphills gave way to blissful downhills and the roadworks eventually ceased. Early morning light filtered through the trees beautifully as we made great progress, cycling 11km in only 30 minutes. 

At the bottom of the downhills, we were greeted by our favourite Thailand store: 7/11. Naturally, we stopped to stock up on snacks for the day. We were glad we made that decision as we realised there were two hot springs right outside! The bubbling, boiling water sent scorching steam high into the air. Ladies with little woven baskets waited patiently next to the springs, encouraging tourists to pay to boil an egg in the scalding water. Across the busy highway, I spied another hot spring – this one even more impressive as it sprayed its fiery water high into the air spectacularly. 

Geyser show over and snacks purchased, we continued on the highway. Even though it was a busy road, bright green trees lined the road and there were some interesting buildings to look at too.

We even cycled past a very impressive, huge and lifelike statue of a monk. We stopped to get some good drone shots.

After the initial uphill climbs and downhill sprints, the road remained flat for the rest of the day, which meant we were at 50km by 1145am. So we took a 30-minute rest in a wooden bus shelter. Again, a good breather out of the sun. 

Cycling on for another 30km, we then stopped for a delicious lunch of pork noodle soup. It was 2.30pm and we were already at 80km. However, it was still another 50km to Chiang Rai… I wasn’t sure if I had it in me, to be honest, but I was more than happy to try! The knowledge that the route was almost completely flat helped.

Just before we reached 100km, we finally came off the 118 highway to take a quieter road to Chaing Rai. We had been following the highway since yesterday morning. Immediately rewarded with peaceful, rural roads, my motivation received a good boost. The silence was a well-received reprieve from the relentless traffic of the last two days. 

We cycled through reticent villages, past golden rice fields and over bridges traversing tranquil but sociable slow rivers, where locals bathed and children played in the late afternoon sun. 

At 4.30pm, we were at 104km, with 26km to go to Chiang Rai. We made the decision to find somewhere to camp this evening, then cycle the final short distance to Chiang Rai in the morning. After all, there was no rush.

We stopped briefly for some more delightful noodle soup but didn’t spend any longer than we needed to as we were keen to find a camping spot before it was dark. Adam had a place in mind, he had spotted a lake and grass area on the map, but on the way, we decided to take a right turn into a rubber tree plantation and try our luck in there. (We would later learn that this isn’t advised, due to snakes, but we didn’t have any problems on this occasion!) 

Cycling what we thought was fairly deep into the forest, we chose a spot about 30/40m away from the dirt track. As we began assembling ourselves, we were immediately besieged by hideous mozzies. Luckily, I had packed my long trousers and hoody at the top of my holdall, so I could whip them on straight away in defence. 

Our wild camping spot in the rubber tree plantation.

It was a much warmer camping experience this evening compared to last night – the sound of locals singing dodgy karaoke drifted over, not quite a serene lullaby. On this occasion, instead of being visited by a ceaseless yapping dog like last night, we were visited by the rubber tree farmers! As we saw a flashlight on our tent, Adam popped his head out with a friendly, ‘Sa-wa-dee-krap!’ (‘Hello’ in Thai). The flashlight’s owners didn’t respond but hurriedly took flight. Sometime later, they returned with two more men on scooters and two defensive dogs. Again, Adam thrust his sleepy head out of the tent, smiled and waved with another hello. 

“Farang! Farang!” came the reply (foreigner), luckily it was a friendly response. The men had machetes at their waists but didn’t have them in their hands. They pointed at the bikes, laughing. It seemed they were OK with us camping as they left after not too long. 

I actually slept better after that incident, as I knew that the owner of the land was aware we were there and didn’t have a problem with us. Legs aching and exhaustion sinking in, I finally fell asleep. 

Day 90: Ban Pa Sang Tai to Wang Chiang Rung

Even though my alarm sounded at 0530am, it was 0800am before we set out for the day. You will realise by now that we are not the quickest in the morning, especially after a 100+ kilometre day. 

Our plan was to cycle to the famous ‘White Temple’, which is actually outside Chiang Rai. We decided that we wouldn’t visit Chiang Rai itself, but continue on towards the border with Laos – we had spent enough time in a city with our two weeks in Chiang Mai. Adam had arranged for us to stay with a Warmshowers host in the town of Wang Chiang Rung, only 57km from our camping spot. From there it is about 70km to the Thailand/Laos border. As we were preparing to leave, one of the rubber tree farmers from the previous evening came to add acid to the pots of rubber: he was friendly and cheery with us.

Cycling away from the rubber tree plantation, we realised that it was actually quite a busy area. We had done well to find that spot, even though we were discovered! Surprisingly, it was a little chilly this morning (we’ve been spoiled with amazingly warm weather so far on our cycle tour!) In the early morning fog, the downhill road we flew down to start our cycle really reminded us of an English ‘B’ road. I almost half expected to round a corner and find a greasy bacon buttie van! (I could have murdered one of those for breakfast! I had to do with a 7/11 banana muffin from yesterday’s snacks.) 

It didn’t take long to reach the popular tourist attraction of the ‘White Temple’. Although we arrived there at 0900am, it was still busy with tourists. We attempted to walk our bikes through but were stopped by a grumpy Thai lady. She wasn’t happy with us, so we had to lock our bikes at the entrance and hope our panniers wouldn’t be rifled through in our absence.

Bike free, we made our way in again. The temple towered before us in a spectacular fashion. I learnt that the official name of it is, ‘Wat Rong Kun’ and it is a contemporary, unconventional, privately-owned art exhibit in the style of a Buddhist temple. It is owned by Chalermchai Kositpipat, who designed, constructed, and opened it to visitors in 1997. We didn’t actually go into the temple, as it cost 50 baht each. This isn’t much – only £1.20! However, we are conscious of how much we overspent in Chiang Mai and we’re really trying to cut our costs now. It was still a formidable view from where we stood.

The bikes like to have their photo taken without us sometimes.

As it was early and we only had a short day of cycling ahead, we spent two hours over breakfast opposite the White Temple. As we came to leave at around midday, the temple was 10 times busier! It was crazy! We were very happy we got there early. 

The rest of the day was a simple, flat cycling day, amidst the pleasantly familiar and lovely Thai countryside. We were surprised to find that local farmers were burning their crops to aid fertilisation of the land; we were under the impression it wasn’t the time of year for this, but we had to endure the burning smoke drifting across our route nonetheless.

One of the farmers burning the crops.

We arrived in the town of our Warmshowers host early, so we stopped off in a nice coffee shop and did some laptop work. We were a little unsure whether our host could still accommodate us, as he had mixed up his days. We always have our tent though, which is reassuring.

We met Kong, our Warmshowers host an hour or so later. Coincidentally, we met him at his coffee shop: Kong is a coffee farmer! It quickly became clear that it was no problem for us to stay, in fact, we could stay for two nights and accompany Kong to his coffee farm the following day. Even though Adam dislikes coffee, this excited us as we had no idea how coffee was farmed. Kong very kindly gave me a taster of his coffee which is absolutely delicious – the tastiest coffee I have ever had! 

We exchanged bikes for a scooter and sidecar for the evening.

Our first night with Kong at an all you can eat BBQ. Perfect food for two hungry bike tourers.

Drinking some of Kongs home brewed peach spirit. The stuff was like rocket fuel!

A super evening was had with Kong. He sleeps in his shop, but we were actually put up at his parent’s house (who we only met very briefly) in a spacious room – separate from the main house – with a comfortable bed. After a much needed hot shower, we went out for dinner with Kong to an amazing ‘all-you-can-eat’ place. A scorching hot plate is placed in the centre of the table and you help yourself to as much raw meat, raw fish, vegetables, rice and noodles as you want. You then cook the food yourself on the sizzling plate or place it in a hot soup that surrounds the plate like a moat. As more meat is cooked, the juices run down into the soup, creating a delicious, rich broth. My word, it was a feast! To add to our meal, Kong brought some of his home-brewed apricot alcohol which we had in shots throughout. It’s fair to say we were rather full and rather tipsy by the time we got to bed that night! Kong drove us to and from the restaurant on his scooter which has a little side-car (which I sat in whilst Adam rode behind Kong) – which was an experience in itself! A day in the life of a cycle tourist can never be predicted! 

Day 91 and 92: Two rest days in Wang Chiang Rung

We hadn’t planned to spend two days at the welcoming Warmshowers host, Kong’s place, but the trip to the coffee farm needed to be delayed by a day as Kong had some work to do in the city first, and actually this was good for us as Adam had some video editing to catch up on. This is the reality of video editing for a YouTube VLOG whilst on the road. However, we were absolutely in no rush; with plenty of time left on our Thailand visa and equally plenty of time before our 90-day validity on our Chinese visa ran out, we were more than happy to spend an extra day with the welcoming Kong whilst we caught up on some admin. (We also could do with an extra day to get over our home-brewed apricot alcohol hangover!)

Throughout our two and a half months in Thailand, we have come to learn that people in Thailand rise very early. Kong is no different. The previous evening he told us he would come to pick us up at 7am, as we were under the impression Kong’s parents would prefer us to be out of the house for the day whilst they attended a family wedding. This was no problem for us, we prepared our bags and thought we would spend the day in the same coffee shop as yesterday, video editing and writing. Upon collecting us, Kong reassured us that his parents were actually OK with us staying in our room whilst they were out. Hopefully, they came to realise that these strange, smelly cyclists could be trusted in their home. 

Kong took us out for a few hours first thing at 7am. Normally, after a late alcohol-fueled evening we would stay in bed until mid-morning nursing our hangovers. But actually, getting out on his scooter in the crisp, chilly morning Thai countryside air in December was just the ticket. Whizzing through narrow country lanes, noticing the wide variety of crops growing and zipping my hoody up against the cold air woke me up and refreshed my fuzzy brain.

This flower is used to make necklaces in Buddhist communities.

Firstly, we visited his friend’s parent’s house for breakfast. They own a large house with a lot of land in the countryside; Kong showed us the crops they grow: dragon fruit, mangos, bananas, pineapples and even some coffee plants. Then Kong took us to meet his friend who lives as a ‘hermit’. His home was very basic: a simple, small home, handmade from wood. He showed us some of the traditional instruments he plays and let us have a go! Let’s just say we won’t quit our day jobs… (cycling across the world!) 

Adam showing the Hermit and Kong his musical talents.

The following day Kong continued to host us amazingly by taking us to see more fascinating local sights and introducing us to more interesting people. We drove up to the mountains where he grows his coffee beans. Walking through the plantations and up the steep mountain was a refreshing change from cycling. I found it thoroughly interesting learning where our coffee comes from! Something I have never really considered: so much goes into growing and harvesting high-quality coffee. We met the locals who handpick the beans. They live on the mountain in a small wooden hut in ‘shifts’ – living there for a few weeks at a time before they swap with another worker and go back home. 

Looking over the coffee fields.

A bag of freshly harvested coffee beans.

On our way to and from the coffee plantation, Kong would stop by his friend’s homes to say hello to them – this allowed us to get a glimpse into the way they live their lives which are just so different to our own (both now and back in the UK). They live off the land: growing their own food, working with crops and using the local harvests to create products to sell. They are poor by monetary standards, but not in their happiness. Today was really enlightening. 

Finally, we enjoyed cooking traditional Thai food with Kong this evening: minced pork cooked in garlic, chillies and Thai basil. This was served with rice, a Thai basil omelette and stir-fried vegetables. It was absolutely delicious!! Comment below if you would like me to type up the recipe. 

One of the things I do miss whilst bike touring is being able to cook proper food in a kitchen.

Our first home cooked food in ages. So tasty!

Tomorrow we have a short 65km day to the border town of Chiang Khong. We will spend our final evening in Thailand there before pedalling into Laos the following morning. Laos is country number four on our cycle tour from Singapore to the UK. After spending 10 weeks in this country, I can well and truly confess that this country has stolen my heart! Although I’m really looking forward to exploring Laos and continuing on our exciting adventure, I will miss Thailand! Cycling through this stunningly beautiful country has been the best way to experience authentic Thailand – off the beaten track, meeting locals, seeing things the majority of ‘normal’ tourists will most likely never see. As much as I will miss the people, the stunning views and above all, the AMAZING food, the adventure must continue! Other countries are calling to be explored and cycled through: Laos, Vietnam and China are our next three targets, followed by the ‘Stans’ in central Asia. But now I must sleep!

Day 93: Wang Chiang Rung to just outside Huay Xai

Today has been a successful day! As I type, we are in country number four of our cycle tour: Laos! We didn’t actually plan to cross the border today, but when we got to Chiang Khong it made sense and we’re really glad we did. So, here’s a rundown of day 93 – our final day in Thailand and crossing into Laos.

My alarm sounded at 6am; the previous day we had agreed to set off at around 7am to have a productive day. “Let’s have one more hours sleep…” Adam muttered as I turned off the alarm. I was not going to argue with that! So we ended up setting out for the day at about 9.30am. Kong, our warmshowers host, took us for one final breakfast of noodle soup and a final delicious coffee from his shop. His coffee is one of the finest in Thailand and has been graded very highly for its quality. It was the perfect way to begin my day and I enjoyed the caffeine buzz as we pedalled out of the town.

As we cycled the first few kilometres, we chatted about our time with Kong and we both agreed that spending two days off the bikes was the best way to spend our final few days in Thailand. He was an amazing host and we would highly recommend him to other cycle tourists if you’re travelling near Chiang Rai.

Our final 77km in Thailand did not disappoint: we were rewarded with wonderful views of the Thai countryside. As we passed paddy fields, all of them low from being harvested or black from being burnt, I felt a tinge of sadness. Thailand has been a remarkable and impressive experience that will stay with me forever. But unfortunately, we cannot stay in Thailand forever, so on we must ride. As always, the road was beautifully tarmacked and smooth and the flourishing vibrant green vegetation was illuminated by the sun. We had perfect conditions for cycling today: sunny but not too sunny, cloudy but not overly and not too hot. In the first 30km, we climbed about 300m – the hills had a very manageable gradient and were actually a welcome terrain to get the heart pumping after two days off the bikes. Due to the route we have chosen, (which could easily change mind you!), we’re aware that every inch we cycle brings us closer to China and closer to our final destination: home. The UK. And the prospect of entering a new country, one that we know not so much about, really excited us and urged us on with great enthusiasm.

A couple of Thai children next to a coffee shop near the Laos border.

A lying Buddha statue just before the border.

So much so, that we cycled continuously for 40km which took us about 2.5 hours. We took an hour to rest in a wooden bus shelter, where we enjoyed some snacks that Kong had very kindly gifted to us before we left: sweet potato crisps and passionfruit. The passionfruit is amazing with some honey drizzled on top! I also had some delicious satsumas. After 30km the road was flat so we arrived at the border town before we knew it. Arriving at mid-afternoon, we made the decision to cross the border today. Originally, we thought we would stay in the border town in Thailand for one night and cross early in the morning. However, as we had time (we researched and knew that the border closes at 10pm) we thought we would beat the morning rush and crossover that afternoon.

We knew we needed a few things: a meal, some Laos currency and some toiletries. We realised there was a place we could do all three: Tesco Lotus! So our final meal in Thailand was a disappointing pad Thai, but we’ve had so many delicious ones we didn’t mind so much. As there was a ‘Bangkok Bank’ within Tesco Lotus, we were able to take out enough Thai Bhat and exchange it for Laotian Kip. In a moment of genius, Adam also realised that we should take out some US dollars to pay for our Laos visas. You actually get the visa for slightly cheaper using dollars. It costs $35 per visa, (or 1500 bhat which works out at about $45 USD) but as we went after 4pm it cost us $36 each. TOP TIP: Ensure you get crisp, unmarked dollars. One of the $10 notes the bank gave us had a small black ink mark, which they wouldn’t accept. Thankfully, they would take a 100,000 Kip note instead (which is about $11).

We are now officially millionaires in Laos. 1,000,000 Kip is about £92 in the UK.

With our admin done in Tesco Lotus, we had one final 7/11 stop using the last Thai Baht coins we had – enough for a muffin each! – before we excitedly cycled to the border crossing. It was slightly confusing where we should go: we were not sure whether to cycle in the lane for vehicles or head into the building. Someone working there beckoned us into the building. We went over to the desk which said ‘departures’. Surprisingly, we didn’t need to fill in a departure form, we had our passports stamped, photos taken and headed through. There is an agreement between Thailand and Laos that the only way to cross the bridge over the Mekong river which served as the ‘no man’s land’ between the two borders, is via car or bus. So there was no way we could cycle the 3.6km over the bridge. This was a pain but non-negotiable. All our bags went into the underbelly and our bikes were placed on the back seats of the coach. As the sun was setting, igniting the sky with beautiful golden and pink light, we were driven across the bridge and arrived triumphantly into Laos.

The sign telling us that we have to get the bus over the 3.2km bridge that crosses the Mekong from Thailand to Laos.

Our first sunset in Laos. We are having to put our panniers back on after the bus ride.

Immigration on the Laos side was quiet and straightforward. We filled in two forms: an arrival card and a visa application. We then handed these into the window marked ‘1’, along with our passports, $62 and 100,000 Kip and a passport photo each. (Apparently, they can photocopy your photo from your passport if you don’t have a separate photo, but I think they prefer you to bring one with you). We had to wait a few minutes before our passports were handed back to us through the window marked ‘2’, complete with a Laos 30 day visa taking up one whole page and a stamp taking up another half. And that was it! Hassle and pain-free. As the sun had set in this time, we switched on our bike lights and headed out into the night on the right-hand side of the road! (This is something I am going to have to get used to – I have never driven or cycled on the right-hand side before!)

We initially thought we would find somewhere to camp this evening. Possibly due to the excitement of a new country, despite it being 6pm and having cycled 78km or so, we still had plenty of energy so decided to push on away from the border to find somewhere more rural. We got to a turning where we could have turned off to get to the main town of Huay Xia, where there would be many guesthouses if we had wanted to stay in one, but this would mean cycling back on ourselves in the morning. So we decided to press on along the road we were currently on and find somewhere to camp in 10km or so.

However, about 2km later I spied a sign for a Guesthouse and we decided to inquire within. It was 100,000 Kip which is £9 or 380 Thai Baht (our minds are still working in Thai Bhat so it will take a little time to adjust to the new currency). This is within our budget so we decided to go for it. I’m really glad we did: ideally, I would prefer to find a camping spot when it is still light and I can get settled into the tent just before or as the sun is setting. It’s also nice to just get ourselves settled into the country and I’m really looking forward to getting up early, having the rigmarole of getting across the border all over and done with, and beginning our Laos cycling adventure fresh. The guesthouse I think is called ‘Keamkham’ (that’s what the wifi is called anyway!), it’s spacious enough for us to bring our bikes into the room, and it’s clean, has aircon, a hot shower and quick wifi – so pretty perfect! Tomorrow our Laos adventure properly begins! We can’t wait.

Two weeks rest in Chiang Mai - Applying for Chinese Visas and deciding on our route for the next 6 months
Hello Laos! Country #4 - A week cycle touring from Thailand to the Chinese Border


Welcome to Laos!!! Shame you won’t be able to bring some of that delicious coffee home! Absolutely fabulous read; from my kitchen in Yorkshire it is so very surreal to imagine your experiences and life on the road out there….. but reading this brings a connection that is invaluable…. thank you ❤️
Thailand has served you well, here’s to your wonderful experiences continuing xx

Thanks Mum! I know I wish I could have brought some of the coffee home – the coffee is called ‘Roast Friday’ – it’s quite expensive though and I don’t think it would last the whole way! 😂 🚲 Glad you enjoyed reading the post 😊 I wish I could transport you here, but hopefully through my words you get a little insight! xxx

So sad you guys leaving Thailand, but exciting exploring a new country, I have never cycled in Lao so look forward to your updates.

Leave a Reply